Part: Electrical Generator Component.
OLD PROCESS: FOUR MACHINE TOOLS WERE REQUIRED:
- 2-axis CNC lathe to turn the ID and OD
- 3-axis VMC for mill, drill, tap operations along with centerline (2 setups)
- 4-axis HMC for machining perpendicular to the centerline
- 3 + 2-axis VMC with rotary/tilt table for angled features (3 setups)
PRODUCTION LEAD TIME - 47 HOURS:
Estimating (8) hours of queue time between machines and (2) hours of setup time per operation.
NEW PROCESS: ONE MACHINE - MAZAK'S INTX e-420HS:
- Horizontal main spindle plus second opposed spindle
- 240 degree rotating B-axis with 30 hp spindle
- 80-tool automatic tool changer
Multi-Tasking Process Advantage:
- A raw billet is chucked in the main spindle for Id, OD, face turning, plus machining of all drilled and tapped holes, pockets and angled features
- Part is automatically transferred to second spindle, chucked on the ID and machined complete on the backside.
Results: LEAD-TIME REDUCED FROM 47 HRS. TO 7 HRS. - NEARLY 7 TIMES FASTER!
- Only one initial setup - no part transfer between machines
- Fewer fixtures, fewer cutting tools and holders
- Machine can run unattended
- Increase in shipping and billing frequency improves cash flow
This is a Level 5 Multitasking application