Part Cutoff Takes a New Direction
The capability and flexibility of the Y axis creates an opportunity for a new approach to parting-off operations. Learn how a specially designed parting blade has compelling advantages when this axis is used to separate a finished part from the barstock.
Many of today’s multitasking machines and turning centers have a Y axis. The capability and flexibility of this axis create an opportunity for a new approach to parting-off operations. Sandvik Coromant details how a specially designed parting blade has compelling advantages when this axis is used to separate a finished part from the barstock.
These advantages include:
- Forces are directed toward the length of the blade rather than toward its cross section. The blade is inherently stiffer and less likely to deform as a result.
- Y-axis parting blades offer increased access to the workpiece and can accommodate larger diameters.
- Surface finish is improved.
- Parting-off cycle time can be reduced to improve productivity.
- Customary blade holders and inserts can be used with the newly designed blades. Modifications to setup are relatively simple.
Sandvik Coromant is using the new blades in its production of toolholders. In this article, the quantifiable benefits to these applications are presented in detail as evidence of the blade’s effectiveness.
Fast CNC processing and high-pressure coolant contribute to removing metal at dramatic rates. But what should a shop know about cutting tools in high speed machining?
Running rotary milling cutters at the proper speeds and feeds is critical to obtaining long tool life and superior results, and a good place to start is with the manufacturer's recommendations. These formulas and tips provide useful guidelines.
One of the most common methods of tapping in use today on CNC machines is 'rigid tapping' or 'synchronous feed tapping.' A rigid tapping cycle synchronizes the machine spindle rotation and feed to match a specific thread pitch. Since the feed into the hole is synchronized, in theory a solid holder without any tension-compression can be used.