December 2015 Product Spotlight Slideshow: Machining Centers
This month’s Modern Equipment Review Spotlight focuses on machining centers.
The slideshow below includes machining centers—bridge mills, five-axis, vertical, horizontal—that range in size from Haas Automation’s small-footprint Mini Mill to Bertsche’s back-to-back P5 machining centers. Click through for details and see the links below for more information on these machines.
- SMTCL Americas’ VMC1100B vertical
- Enshu’s GE590H horizontal
- Mazak’s HCN-5000/50 horizontal
- Haas Automation’s Mini Mill vertical
- DMG MORI’s Lasertec 4300 3D hybrid machining center
- Absolute Machine Tools’ Johnford DMC bridge mill
- Methods Machine Tools’ KMH-300 horizontal
- Bertsche’s Dual P5 five-axis mill
- GF Machining Solutions’ HSM 500 MoldMaster vertical
- Heller’s H-series horizontal
The force that holds the toolholder in the machining center's spindle can weaken over time. If you haven't checked drawbar force in a while, this may be the weak link in your process.
... not to mention grinding with air. Thanks to high speed spindles powered by shop air, this job shop expands the work its VMCs can do.
The recipe for best results is simple: Start with a rigid machine, add a high pressure through-the-spindle coolant system, then combine these with the right drill geometry plus the right speeds and feeds.