The winners of the first MTConnect Challenge have been announced. Chosen by the National Center for Defense Manufacturing and Machining (NCDMM), AMT—The Association for Manufacturing Technology and the United States Army, the five winners have each received a $5,000 cash prize for their proposed ideas utilizing MTConnect. The solutions were judged based on their benefit to manufacturing intelligence, creativity and innovation, practicality, impact on the industry, and overall quality.
The five winners of the MTConnect Challenge 1 were:
- James Finn of International TechneGroup Incorporated for integration with Microsoft Visio.
- Peter Laird for MTConnect TeamEngage, a plant operations collaboration system.
- Scot Lininger for sim.MTConnect.org, a 3D web-based MTConnect simulator.
- Donovan Buckley and Arvind Rangarajan of GE Global Research, PARC, for interactive work instructions using real-time MTConnect toolpath data.
- Nick Tullos and Jeb Baugh of Praeses LLC for AugMT, an augmented reality system combining MTConnect data streams and Google Glass technologies.
MTConnect Challenge 2, opened for submissions on July 1, 2013, and will accept submissions through January 31, 2013. The second challenge asks contestants to develop functional software that could benefit the Department of Defense and its industrial manufacturing supply chain. Three winners will be named in April 2014 at the MC2 Conference.
MTConnect Challenge, visit mtconnect.challenge.gov.