The National Center for Defense Manufacturing and Machining (NCDMM) and AMT–The Association For Manufacturing Technology have announced the five finalists of the MTConnect Challenge 2. All finalists will present their MTConnect-based software applications at the [MC]2 2014 MTConnect conference, to be held April 8-10 in Orlando, Fla. Attendees will vote to award $225,000 in cash prizes to three winners.
The top five entries are:
- Expanding Manufacturing's Vision: MTConnect + Google Glass, Joel Neidig, Itamco
- Promise by Shane Crandall
- MTConnect for Microsoft Visio, James Finn, International TechneGroup
- Interactive Work Instructions (IWI), Donovan Buckley and Arvind Rangarajan, GE Global Research, PARC
- MTConnect and NI Measurement Studio Integration, Valerie Pezzullo, Clemson University.
The MTConnect Challenge 2 challenged participants to develop software applications that could be easily adopted by manufacturing enterprises, especially lower-tier producers, to enhance their manufacturing capabilities and support Department of Defense supply chain management goals. Entries were judged based on their benefit to manufacturing intelligence, creativity and innovation, practicality of concept, impact on industry, and overall quality.
Editor PickDeveloping a Platform for Data-Driven Manufacturing
With the eventual goal of adding machine condition monitoring, this company began by installing an ERP system as a foundation to build upon, flattening the learning curve with each step toward achieving increased process oversight.