June 2017 Product Spotlight: EDM
This month’s Modern Equipment Review Spotlight focuses on a variety of electrical discharge machining equipment.
The products listed below, compiled in our June 2017 issue’s Modern Equipment Review Spotlight, include EDMs, wire, and a special EDM coating technology.
Find more product information, news and articles about EDM equipment and shop applications in MMS Online’s EDM Zone.
- Chmer EDM’s six-axis AD5L EDM drill/mill (pictured above), available from EDM Network, can drill at high speed as well as mill 3D diffuser shapes for parts that require air cooling, like in jet engines and gas-turbine generators. The EDM’s X-, Y- and Z-axis travels measure 500 × 300 × 350 mm, respectively, with an optional Z-axis travel of 600 mm also available.
- Seibu’s EL coating, available from KGK International, is a coating that Seibu’s wire EDMs can apply to carbide parts for protection and increased tool life. Essentially, the thin, brass coating keeps the cobalt from breaking down due to oxidation caused by the dielectric fluid.
- Global EDM has introduced the Excetek VGPlus series of wire EDMs with a new digital power manager for improved cutting and accuracy, an HP AVR circuit for better accuracy with multiple parts, and two surface roughness options for cutting.
- Available from GF Machining Solutions, the AgiesCharmilles Form 20 EDM features Intelligent Power Generator (IPG) technology that gives it low-energy-consumption levels (3.7 kW/hr. at full power). With every machine pulse, the 70-A generator continuously optimizes the EDM process and dramatically reduces electrode wear, providing uniform surface finishes.
- Sodick has launched JQ (Japan Quality), a new line of EDM wire consumables, consisting of uncoated brass wire that enables high cutting speeds.
The promise of running a wire EDM for long stretches without much operator attention is enticing, but many shops never manage to pull this off. Here are tips to make it happen, as offered by Mark Cicchetti, EDM technical director for Absolute Machine Tool’s Accutex EDM product line.
Voice interface technology has come of age and is now found on a wide variety of products such as phones, tablets, PCs, TV remotes and many other devices. Why not on machine tools as well?
A new breed of power generators for wire EDMs has options for reducing, even eliminating, one of the unwanted side effects of this very versatile metalcutting process.